Sunday, January 21, 2018

Throwback: Oaks defends himself in Op-Ed against charge of lying


Remember that time Oaks had to publicly defend himself in a Salt Lake Tribune Op-Ed after publicly being called a liar by a Prophet's grandson?
My dictionary defines lying as being "deliberately untruthful" and a "lie" as "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive." I did not "lie" to the reporter and, contrary to the wire-service story printed in the October 16 Tribune, I did not "admit" to "falsely telling" the reporter something that was untrue. 
I withdrew one sentence I had spoken in a long interview, and I did so three days before the article was published because I realized, when I saw the written transcript, that this single sentence was not "truthful" (meaning "accurate" or "correct"). When a newspaper publishes something that it later realizes to have been incorrect, does it apologize to its readers for "lying" or does it just print a correction? My statement to the reporter was corrected before it was published.
Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment